View Single Post
Old March 13 2013, 01:42 AM   #32
JD
Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

IO9 has a spoiler free review up for the first three episodes of the series.
Highlights:
IO9 wrote:
It's a giant cast of Alpha personalities which (thankfully) yields a lot of unexpected scenarios. Every time we expect Datak to go wild, he goes quiet. These characters are smarter than your average Stargate scientist.
The smaller plots are well thought out and exceptionally clever. Whether or not the larger story will pan out, remains to be seen. But so far we're impressed with the week-to-week drama.
When you get over the initial shock that this is a show basically set in the Mos Eisley Cantina, you then realize, holy cow this a show set in the Mos Eisley Cantina!
The large Firefly fan base must disconnect from any sort of similarities that crop up on the new series if they're going to even remotely enjoy Defiance
Get a new trope. While we can forgive necessary cliche characters for the sake of a pilot, we can not excuse the hooker with the heart of gold. The big meeting place/restaurant in town is a brothel where people conduct "sex business." It's eye-roll-inducing and hard to watch.
Defiance also suffers from a bad case of Phantom Menace. There is just too much CG shit going on at once. SLOW DOWN
On a Syfy scale of Battlestar Galactica to Piranhaconda, Defiance is in the upper middle. It's got heaps of promise and an amazing cast.
EDIT: I forgot to post the newest behind the scenes featurette: Making of Part VI: Nolan and Irisa. Focused on Grant Bowler's Nolan, and Stephanie Leonidas' Irisa.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)

Last edited by JD; March 13 2013 at 04:11 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote