View Single Post
Old March 12 2013, 09:56 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Ghost Light - What the hell is going on?

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
The beginning and end of the novelization range were excellent. At the beginning, writers like Malcolm Hulke (whose novelization Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters is better than his TV story Doctor Who and the Silurians) and even Dicks were genuinely trying, and then towards the end, the actual writers of the Seventh Doctor stories were doing their own novelizations and were treated seriously again.
On the other hand, Pip and Jane Baker did their own novelizations, and they sucked.

And I have a certain fondness for Dicks's novelizations. They weren't great literature, but they were nice, straightforward, accessible adaptations, and they had a comforting familiarity to them. I mean, it was Dicks who gave us the archetypal description of the "peculiar wheezing, groaning sound" of the TARDIS. And then there was the Third Doctor's "young-old face," and other such recurring descriptive phrases.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote