View Single Post
Old March 12 2013, 08:53 PM   #30
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Ghost Light - What the hell is going on?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Doctor Who easily has the best novel range of any sci-fi franchise.
Agreed. From the novelizations to PDAs to the outstanding Telos novellas, there's a seriously unfair amount of genuinely good literature published as Doctor Who stories. Okay, not on the level of, say, Dune or The Foundation series, but tie-ins that aren't just interested in filling in some gap of the show and bringing back some obscure character (mind you, there's a ton of those in DW lit too). The VNAs ARE the continuation of the show for me.

The novelizations are generally mediocre with a few classics (Ben Aaronovitch's Remembrance of the Daleks is top dollar!)
The beginning and end of the novelization range were excellent. At the beginning, writers like Malcolm Hulke (whose novelization Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters is better than his TV story Doctor Who and the Silurians) and even Dicks were genuinely trying, and then towards the end, the actual writers of the Seventh Doctor stories were doing their own novelizations and were treated seriously again.

It's only that lull in the middle years where every single novelization was written by Dicks and every single one was some 90 page leaflet summary of a TV ep that the range wanes interest.

but the VNAs and EDAs are outstanding ranges.
Indeed. To be honest, even though the VNAs were by no means perfect, I'd hesitate to call the EDAs an outstanding range due to the sheer amount of missteps, bad decisions, and useless, mediocre books, but you're right; any range that can produce Alien Bodies, The Blue Angel, Father Time, City of the Dead, and The Adventuress of Henrietta Street deserves to be called outstanding.