View Single Post
Old March 12 2013, 09:35 AM   #32
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Re: 20 YEARS AGO TODAY: "But I'm Not Even Supposed to BE Here Today!"

I've been a huge Kevin Smith fan since the late '90s. I caught Mallrats on Encore one night and was only able to see half of it, but it was some of the funniest stuff I'd ever seen. Jason Lee as Brodie is one of my favorite comedic performances ever.

Ever since then I've devoured everything Kevin has put out. I was probably one of the few people who actually saw the Clerks cartoon when it originally aired on ABC back in 2000. Today I'd place Clerks II as my favorite of his films, followed closely by Dogma.

As much as he pimped Red State as being his masterpiece, I didn't care for it too much. It was directed really well, but the story didn't really do anything for me. Comedy is where his strengths are. Although I did enjoy seeing Ralph Garman getting blown away.

I was hesitant to listen to "SModcast". It took 100 episodes before I finally started listening. I think it was because I didn't know what podcasts were. I knew it was Kevin talking with Scott Mosier, but I just figured they were just talking about the movies, and having listened to all of his commentaries, how much more was there to say? Once I started listening, though, I quickly realized that this was just another outlet for Kevin to express his storytelling. The conversations that Kevin and Scott have had have been funny, meaningful, informative, touching, etc. The podcasts prove that the man is great at holding your interest. His way of speaking just sucks me in, even if he's talking about something I'm not that interested in.

Kevin also introduced the world to Bryan Johnson and Walt Flanagan, and for that I thank him. I enjoy their podcast, "Tell 'Em Steve-Dave" even more than "SModcast." I think it's because they're more off the cuff, while Kevin has more structure to his show. I'm happy that I got to see all of them perform their podcasts live in Columbus, OH.

As for Clerks III? I'll be at the theatre opening weekend, most likely. Dante and Randall are great characters and I'm very interested have one more adventure with them.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote