View Single Post
Old March 11 2013, 11:21 PM   #1928
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Just started the novelization of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I usually find myself speed reading through these as I can get bored with novelizations if they don't offer much supplementary story not seen on screen.
I've been blasting through the novelizations while hanging out in the living room while the TV is on and it's something that my wife is more interested than I am. Finished off Voyager, Enterprise and only have All Good Things... left for TNG. Most of them don't have a lot of interesting new material.

I feel that J.M. Dillard is much better with that than Diane Carey.
Yep. Carey seemed to be a go to person at the time, I've heard it's because she should be depended on to meet very tight deadlines, but if she's writing a non-TOS book it just never sounds like she has the characters voices. I get it with the novelizations for the pilot episodes of a series but for 4th and 5th season episodes it's like she's never actually watched the series.

By the way, those two seem to have had cornered that market all for themselves after Vonda McIntyre stopped. I know Friedman did a few but thats about it.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the other authors besides those three only wrote one each.

I just finished Ishmael which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. I was also surprised by the amount of Here Comes the Brides content. I knew it was there but I thought it was cameos by a couple of characters. I didn't realize the story was pretty much a Brides story with Spock hanging out with the main characters from the show and basically wrapping up the series. At least I'm assuming it wraps up the series, it's not available streaming so can't watch it, since it wasn't the fashion at the time on TV to conclude a storyline before a series went off the air. I'm assuming the final episode didn't settle who won the bet for the mountain.

I'm continuing with more old school Trek by reading Crisis on Centaurus.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote