View Single Post
Old March 11 2013, 11:03 PM   #158
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

I'm fairly certain I've recounted this story before on these boards, but what the hell. The only actor I've ever had a problem with is John de Lancie. This is going back years now, but I attended a De Lancie signing at the original Forbidden Planet store on London's New Oxford Street. Prior to getting my 10x8 signed, I struck up a conversation with a young lady directly behind me in the queue - we were both greatly anticipating meeting the clever and talented actor who brilliantly brought the irascible Q so colourfully to life.

Upon reaching him, I took my regular low key approach (in my suit, fresh from a business call in the West End) by simply saying "Hi there, pleased to meet you - could you sign it to ******* please". Honestly, all I got back could only be described as a "grunt" and a totally blank stare - plus the signature of course. I waited briefly for my new acquaintance, and she reported almost exactly the same experience.

OK, he could have been having a really bad day, but I'd dropped good money for just a few seconds of his time, and walked away feeling thoroughly disillusioned and extremely disappointed - wishing I hadn't bothered to be honest. It took me quite a while to put it all out of my head and return to appreciating his superb work as Q once again.