View Single Post
Old March 11 2013, 09:28 PM   #23
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Anyone else not hate "Bound"?

gblews wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
It would have been nice if a couple of guys got the headache and a couple of girls fell under the Orion girls' spell. Or are we to believe there is not a single gay or bi crewperson on board the Enterprise?
Isn't there a line from Phlox in which he states the Orion pheromones work specifically on "rival" females physiology causing them to feel off colour - thereby taking them "out of the game" as it were. I don't think it's got anything to do with sexual preference.
You're right about the Phlox line. But this does raise an interesting question about sexual preference. The Orions' pheremones were said to affect men "physiologically" by causing them to desire the girls so much that they all want to be the "alpha male" in hopes of attracting them.

So if there had been any gay men on board, isn't the aforementioned definition saying that the gay men's sexual preference would be altered so that they would, possibly for the first and only time, want these particular women?

The episode may actually be kind of unconsciously throwing "born this way", under the bus. Not trying to make any grand political statements here, just speculating on the events in "Bound".

BTW, King Daniel, you should get some sort of prize for bringing up an issue in an Ent episode that (I don't think) has ever been raised before in this forum.
Yes, you're right - it's all a big undefined grey area to say the least. Although, having said that, I doubt it's anything Manny Cotto thought about in great detail while penning the episode - if at all.