Unification novelization by Jeri Taylor

Over the last week, I finished:
Typhon Pact: Brinksmanship by Una McCormack
Dark Passions: Book Two by Susan Wright
Legacy (TOS #56) by Michael Jan Friedman
The Rift (TOS #57) by Peter David
Boogeymen (TNG #17) by Mel Gilden
Q-in-Law (TNG #18) by Peter David

In Voyages of the Imagination, Peter David states that he wrote his initial story treatment for The Rift as one of three novel proposals, with no real expectation that Pocket would pick it to turn into a full novel. He includes quite a few characters from various TOS episodes, to the point where even the characters in the novel remark on how contrived the situation is. I can't help but agree to a certain extent. I liked the overall concept and plot, but I think there were a few too many characters from previous episodes in it.

I thought it was interesting how both Legacy and The Rift involved the Kirk-era crew dealing with situations stemming from previous adventures of the Pike-era crew. Even though the plots of the two books weren't really that similar, I thought it was funny how that happened in two consecutive TOS novels. I wonder if it was any relation to the fact that they were published in 1991 which was the 25th anniversary year of Trek.

I thoroughly enjoyed Q-in-Law. I don't want to say much about the plot to avoid spoiling anyone, but a glance at the cover will tell one that the novel features both Q and Lwaxana Troi in it - I think, with a few tweaks, this novel could have made an excellent comedic TNG two-part episode.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote