View Single Post
Old March 11 2013, 03:48 PM   #151
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

37. Oz the Great and Powerful (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - I talk more about the movie here. It was colorful, touching and funny in spots and I thought the ending was brilliant. Williams and Weisz did very well, but I had issues with Franco and Kunis. Franco was good actually, but his character felt too contemporary. And Kunis, though stunning and good as Theodora, couldn't totally pull off the Wicked Witch.

38. And Soon the Darkness (2010) (✩✩˝) - DVD - Two college-aged girls travel Argentina by bicycle and one of them gets kidnapped. It's a whodunit story that involes a guy the girls met at a bar, another mysterious but non-creepy guy they met and a police officer. Stars Odette Yustman, Amber Heard and Karl Urban. It's a remake of a 1970 film. I liked the actresses and the small town backwoods scenery, but the story was pretty weak. There was little sense of mystery, urgency or dread. They almost had something but didn't hit the target.

39. And Soon The Darkness (1970) (✩✩✩✩) - Download - I watched the 1970 version right after. Two young English women travel the French countryside by bicycle and one of them gets kidnapped. The whodunit aspect this time involves a mysterious man who's also been roaming the countryside on his moped, the town's police officer, an elderly teacher in the area, a farmer and a lady who runs a café. This movie was a vast improvement over the 2010 version. It really captured a sense of mystery, fear and dread and did so in broad daylight. Makes you wonder why the remake couldn't do this.

40. Jack (✩✩✩˝) - Live TV - The story of Canada's NDP leader Jack Layton. I liked the all-star cast that included Sook-Yin Lee, Wendy Crewson and Erin Karpluk. And I was especially impressed with how well they made up Rick Roberts to look like Jack.

Theatre: 6
Blu-ray: 3
DVD: 11
Live TV: 11
Netflix: 0
Download: 8
YouTube: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote