View Single Post
Old March 11 2013, 05:50 AM   #150
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

30. The Silence of the Lambs (A)

It was all downhill from here for Hannibal Lecter: next up is a TV series on NBC.

I recall seeing large pieces of this before, mainly on TV, but I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the whole thing before. Watched from two decades' remove, the movie holds up, though many of the things that were novel at the time have become quite familiar, as Silence's DNA has seeded the vast majority of Hollywood crime movies and TV made since in one way or another. Foster and Hopkins carry the movie, obviously (though it's easy to overlook how little Hopkins is actually onscreen

31. Gone Baby, Gone (A)

Fresh off Ben Affleck's ultimate triumph at the Academy Awards, time to revisit his first film, which I had considered his best work still. Affleck seems to have settled into casting himself as the lead, which makes this seem retroactively somewhat uncharacteristic; though it's just Casey Affleck, so maybe close enough. This is a pretty terrific modern noir, and the most effective character piece of Affleck's three films so far (it's not as tightly plotted as the others, but that's the nature of the genre). I think Michelle Monaghan's character could have used a bit more development, to give the ending weight.

Cinema: 7
Home Video: 23 (+2)
Computer: 1

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote