View Single Post
Old March 11 2013, 03:57 AM   #37
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Am I part Irish or not?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
. . . For example - one of my ancestors was born in Dunvegan Castle on the Isle of Skye. His father was a stone-mason who worked on the castle. The castle is the seat of the Clan McLeod and is the longest continously inhabited castle in Scotland.
You mean you're related to this guy? Cool!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
scotcat wrote: View Post
I think it's brilliant to know where you came from and to know your family history (we've been able to take my mum's family tree back to the early 1700's), but that shouldn't change who you are now.
I guess I can see the history being interesting, like Miss Chicken's example. I just don't understand the desire for roots and connections that people seem to have. . . People tend to speak about their distant ancestry with such ownership, but why someone who's great-great-great-great grandmother was Irish (or Greek or Spanish or whatever) want to take ownership of that? -- it's not like they know what it's like to actually be a part of that culture.
I feel the same way. Family history can be an interesting topic, but ultimately your identity is about who you are, your own psyche and personal experiences, and not where your great-great-grandfather was born or what kind of clothes he wore or what religion he practiced or what he ate for breakfast.

I'm reminded of the movie Flirting With Disaster, in which Ben Stiller plays an adoptee who goes in search of his birth parents. When he thinks he's found his biological mother (a woman who happens to be of Finnish ancestry), he says, "Finnish? I don't even know how to be that!"

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
flandry84 wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
Scots, on the other hand, are purebred. Thoroughbreds, you could say.
Must..resist...sheep...reference..
I though it was the Welsh who were so 'interested' in sheep?
Depends on your point of reference. Aussies make sheep-fucking jokes about New Zealanders. And vice versa.