View Single Post
Old March 11 2013, 02:41 AM   #6
Halogen
Ensign

Re: I need your thoughts on the dark side of technology

Sure, it is society that controls technology. For now. And we knew what i meant.

But even so I hear a lot of arguments from the intellectual elite about society this, society that, and even more analyses of the problem, with few commitments to change anything for anyone.

On the one hand they opine about the plight of the 99%, and yet forget to mention their ability to create labor saving technologies, and rearrange the structures of governments and organizations to benefit themselves and their kin and no one else, is how they got to the 1% in the first place. Rich conservatives (economic vs intellectual elite) are even worse because they just go on about hard work, when they know GD well that work has nothing to do with it.

So, really how pointless is it to say "technology can be good or bad, society decides" when all around you society is deciding the wrong thing?

Meanwhile a convenient vortex called the Internet has risen up to distract the humble masses with pictures of cats: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...nequality.html

That article says close to 90% of people think the world will be worse for their children. Isn't that, like, a recipe for revolution?

Look, you hear all the time about people who were "inspired to achieve" by Trek. About Whoopi Goldberg seeing uhura, or the poor boy who decided he wanted to become an engineer after seeing La Forge. But don't forget that (per JJ) Trek is about MORALITY THROUGH technology for the good of all mankind, not just to "empower" individuals to be the best they can be. If you do the latter without the former, I fear you start steering society toward someplace like today.

I really hope trek fans don't forget that.

Last edited by Halogen; March 11 2013 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Halogen is offline   Reply With Quote