View Single Post
Old March 10 2013, 07:12 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

Re: Lost Girl Season 3

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'm not sure where people got the idea that Syfy is quicker to cancel genre shows than anybody else. If anything, it seems to be the other way around . . . .
Exactly. SF/fantasy shows generally die far more quickly on the big networks. Heck, already in the current season we've seen Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue premiere and get cancelled within a few months, Do No Harm die after two episodes, and Zero Hour get pulled after three episodes, while Cult is struggling and seems likely to be cancelled soon. It's been a pretty disastrous year for new genre shows on the networks, with the exception of Arrow and maybe Beauty and the Beast and Revolution.

Perhaps the perception of Syfy as a show-killer comes, paradoxically, from the fact that they do keep their genre shows on longer than most networks, long enough to win more of a loyal audience that's upset when they do come to an end, whereas the legion of fast-dying SF/F shows on the broadcast networks don't hang around long enough, or aren't good enough, for the audience to care as much about their ending. I know I'm a lot more upset about losing Alphas after two seasons than I was about losing Terra Nova, Awake, Alcatraz, or FlashForward after one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote