View Single Post
Old March 10 2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Lonely Planet - Top 10 Cities

The only one I've been to on the list is San Francisco. I grew up about an hour away from the city, and it holds a fond place in my heart. It was always the place to go for fun and exciting things, such as when our senior prom was held there and I went on an hour-long limo ride with a group of friends to get there, or for a day break when you want to get away from real life. My family and I recently did a city-wide scavenger hunt, Amazing Race type adventure there (through Urban Adventure Quest) and it was a lot of fun. We got to see parts of the city that I hadn't really dedicated any time to visiting before, such as Chinatown and the Cable Car Museum. And it all ended at the pier with a beautiful sunset and view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Although the article implies that it's only a destination for liberals who want to mingle with like minds, it's actually a city that has something for everyone. There are so many different cultures, religions, ethnicities, and points of view in the Bay Area that everyone will find something that makes them feel at home here.

As touristy as it is, I still love walking along Pier 39. There is a certain smell and breezy feeling to it that you never forget. I'll often be in other parts of the state or country and get a hint of something on the wind and for a second I am transported back to San Francisco.
T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote