View Single Post
Old March 10 2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: Am I part Irish or not?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
junxon wrote: View Post
just as long as you're not one of those americans whose ancestors were actually english, but insist they're part irish or scottish due to embarassment
Are you sure you didn't just make this up?

Anyway, out of curiosity, why do you care if you have distant Irish relatives? I mean that as a genuine question, not as sarcasm -- I just never really understood what drives people to do the whole genealogy thing. I mean, on the grand scale of evolution it's pretty cool: If you do the math, going back about 5,000-15,000 years every single one of us alive shares a common ancestor, back through the apes and the shrew-like mammals and the reptiles and the fishes to the first living organism that emerged from the muck. I mean, that's just really fucking cool! But knowing that there must've been some Irish or Scots somewhen amongst my forebears doesn't really do anything for me other than to account for my ginger rug.
I can't speak for others but I know that I have learnt a great deal about history and geography while researching my family history.

For example - one of my ancestors was born in Dunvegan Castle on the Isle of Skye. His father was a stone-mason who worked on the castle. The castle is the seat of the Clan McLeod and is the longest continously inhabited castle in Scotland. My ancestor actually called his property in Australia "Dunvegan".

I am also a descendant of the Stewarts of Appin. This has lead me to research the long lasting feud between those Stewarts and the Campbells.

Another ancestor came out of the Second Fleet which has lead me to doing quite a bit of study on the first 20 years or so of white settlement in Australia.

Quite often geneological research has led to me researching the history of the common people which I have found more interesting than the history I was taught at school.

I have Irish ancestors who seem to have been Quakers. My ancestor Ann Gore was born in Turlough, County Mayo, Ireland in Dec 1814 and died in Red Range, New South Wales in July 1913 (aged 99 years 7 months) and she is my longest lived ancestor.

On my mother's I am descended from free settlers (NSW and Queensland), on my father's side mainly from convicts (NSW and Tasmania).
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote