View Single Post
Old March 10 2013, 03:35 AM   #44
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Re: Abrams wanted to blow up more than Romulus

I always felt a bit sorry for that oil slick. Most of that was probably due to Patrick Stewart's acting. Exactly the type of role he'd probably been dreading, doing some serious talking with a pile of goo. The ending is genius and Tasha Yar's death also very well done. More adventures under her belt and I'd agree a random sudden death wouldn't satisfy. But as it turned out, just enough of an acquintance for it to be shocking, have an impact and be what everybody remembers about her.

Anyway... the story about the new universe creative team having wanted to lay waste to the old one, just doesn't sit right with me. Not because it wouldn't have been dramatic. More because it seems a bit unnecessarily spiteful, in a situation where they've creatively decided not to continue with Star Trek set in that original universe. Pretty cowardly and irresponsible. Do some further damage, safe in the knowledge it's not their problem anymore. Or even of any importance to whatever stories they want to tell. Why do it? Every time there's a new spin-off, a different iteration of Star Trek... it's first act isn't to put the boot into what came before, or indeed is still going on while it is. Quite the opposite is what I expect to see in fact.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 10 2013 at 04:20 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote