View Single Post
Old March 10 2013, 02:29 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Re: Marvel animation-- Avengers Assemble and Hulk: Agents of Smash

^You can say the same about a lot of comics series that have been made into animated shows. Green Lantern: The Animated Series builds on a ton of continuity from comics I haven't read, but I haven't had any trouble following the show, because it reintroduced and recontextualized every concept that it drew from the comics, and altered or simplified the comics' version of things to make it clearer. And that's just one example. Just about every long-running comic has a hugely convoluted backstory, but the various animated adaptations have always been able to distill those background elements. Sometimes a show is so cluttered with character cameos and continuity nods that it can be confusing to the novice; I had that problem with the '90s X-Men and occasionally with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and I would've had it with Young Justice if I hadn't gotten to know the DCU characters from JLU, Teen Titans, and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. But sometimes all the necessary continuity is worked in very neatly and unconfusingly as if it were all brand-new, as in the '90s Spider-Man (mostly), Superman: TAS, and the like.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote