Thread: Friction at DC
View Single Post
Old March 9 2013, 05:01 PM   #129
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Friction at DC

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Let's turn this on its head for a minute; let's boycott Chris Sprouse for his intolerance of other people's views. That man should never get work again. Right?

That does bring up an interesting point, though. How does DC really feel about Sprouse doing this? Sprouse just showed himself to be unreliable and willing to leave his publisher in a lurch based on whim. Is this someone you give more work to? Can you depend on them? Sprouse has been highly unprofessional here. If he didn't want to work with Card in the future, then that's fine; but to back out on your commitment to drawing an inoffensive story? I wouldn't hire Sprouse again.
Whereas I thought Sprouse was the person who came out looking best in this situation. He gave a very diplomatic statement that didn't burn bridges with anyone and made it clear that the chatter was distracting and he had to step away.

Do I think this burns his bridge with DC? Absolutely not. For one thing, DC values Sprouse far more than they value Card. Yes, DC says they're going to look for a new artist, but I can't actually see them looking very hard. Sprouse's decision very clearly gave DC the excuse to pay Card his kill fee and pull the plug on the story.

Plus it meant that retailers who had publicly said they weren't going to carry the first print issue with Card's story because they didn't want to financially support Card can now, in good conscience, order it. In that sense, Sprouse saved the book and did DC a favor. The work of the other artists and writers in the book now aren't being damaged by the Card blowback.

It was the other artists issue that really had me on the fence about Adventures of Superman #1. It's okay for me to not buy Orson Scott Card's novels; the only person affected by that is Card as my withholding purchase means he's one less copy toward earning out his advance -- and lower sales on his books mean his publishers will offer him lower advances in the future because Card's work doesn't sell. But Card wasn't the only creator in Adventures of Superman #1. I wanted to support Sprouse and Chris Samnee, but I didn't want to support Card. Did my love of the character and Sprouse and Samnee outweigh my detestment of Card? I hadn't sorted out that calculus yet. Now I don't have to solve the problem; Chris Sprouse solved it for me.

allyngibson.net