View Single Post
Old March 9 2013, 03:14 PM   #42
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Did You Love Other Vintage Sci-Fi Shows?

Other than TOS?

Before I found Star Trek in 1970 I knew Lost In Space, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, The Invaders, The Time Tunnel, Land Of The Giants, The Adventures Of Superman, the Flash Gordon serials, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Stingray. After finding Star Trek one by one they all fell off my radar. After TOS only UFO and The Six Million Dollar Man resonated.

Over the years I've revisited quite a few of them and (at least) moderately revised my opinion.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea - this straddles a line (in the first season) between respectable and absurdity. Season 1 just managed to keep from getting too stupid. It's. a mixed bag in the first season, but there are some solid efforts in there.

Lost In Space - a lot of fun when I was a kid, but now it's just too goofy. The first season remains okay overall, but it's a definitely slide after the first handful of episodes. The prominence of Smith the clown ruined the show. I also think the show looks better in b&w and the Jupiter II is still damned cool.

UFO - revisited this recently and except for a couple of dull episodes I still think it's pretty solid, the riot of colours notwithstanding. I still would like to see this revisited respectfully as a new series reboot or a feature film.

The Six Million Dollar Man - I revisited this about a year ago, the first two seasons anyway, and while not brilliant I was pleasantly surprised how well much of it held up. Steve Austin might well have been one of the last if not the last old-fashioned hero. Today he'd be written full of angst. He was Superman with technological twist. I had hoped the abbreviated show Now And Again could have been a decent SMDM reboot, but it wasn't to be.

The Adventures Of Superman - yeah, it's dated, but I still love George Reeves as Superman/Clark and Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane. First season in b&w is best.

I'd like to revisit The Time Tunnel and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.