Old March 9 2013, 01:13 AM   #68
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Re: Friction at DC

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
And then you don't come across like a hypocrite for giving OSC a complete pass
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I already said I find Scott Card's views sickening and that the most baffling thing in the world would be someone giving a fuck about someone else's sex life, which OSC clearly does. I read Ender's Game when in high school, but haven't read anything he's done since then and don't plan to.

How am I giving him a complete pass just because I don't like petitioning for someone to be removed for their views (even if I disagree with them, which I do)?!?!
Because you're up at arms about them petitioning against his participation in the anthology even though that's exercising the same right to speech he has and even though what they're doing is far less harmful than actively promoting, financing, and otherwise supporting legislation that not only bans gay marriage, but actually banned consensual gay sex in some cases, as he used to support when it was still on the books, links homosexuality to rape and molestation, and calls for the violent overthrow of the government if they don't uphold his and his religion's views:

- In 1990, Card called for laws that ban consensual homosexual acts to "remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society."

- In 2008, Card wrote that "there is no branch of government with the authority to redefine marriage," and indicated that a revolution would be appropriate if gay marriage became law. He said:

Because when government is the enemy of marriage, then the people who are actually creating successful marriages have no choice but to change governments, by whatever means is made possible or necessary...

- Card has also voiced his opinion that paraphilia and homosexuality are linked. In a 2004 essay entitled "Homosexual 'Marriage' and Civilization", Card wrote:

The dark secret of homosexual society—the one that dares not speak its name—is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse, and how many of them yearn to get out of the homosexual community and live normally.
You don't see why people would and should actively protest his involvement in pop culture works they care about? How about getting your priorities straight and putting things in perspective and not taking out your ire on the wrong targets?

Plus, is this anthology being sold separately or all together in one book? Because it's difficult to boycott one author whose views you don't like without adversely affecting the other authors if they're all in the same book. I'm curious about how it's being sold. That might be a good reason for the petition as well, if that's the case.