Thread: Friction at DC
View Single Post
Old March 9 2013, 12:57 AM   #63
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Friction at DC

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I'll say again, and no one has yet to disprove this...had Card been expressing openly racist, anti-Semitic or sexist ideas and openly advocating limiting the rights of minorities, jews, or women AND been a high profile member of an organization that supported such positions...this conversation would not be happening. NO ONE would be here defending him.
Sorry I didn't see that post, because yes, I absolutely would. I have no problem with anyone holding any kind of views from getting work so long as their prejudices don't actively interfere with someone else's livelihood (IE, a racist manager discriminating against an African-American employee). But I don't think someone's personal views, regardless of how much I may strongly disagree with them, should have anything to do with their employment one way or another.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I'll say again, and no one has yet to disprove this...had Card been expressing openly racist, anti-Semitic or sexist ideas and openly advocating limiting the rights of minorities, jews, or women AND been a high profile member of an organization that supported such positions...this conversation would not be happening. NO ONE would be here defending him.
Hey, don't sell the fanbase short like that.
Indeed, because I absolutely see nothing wrong with employing someone who has those views. I DO see something very, very wrong with any racist, anti-Semetic, sexist, or homophobic views and I would tell OSC or a Neo-Nazi or anyone else that to their face. But I also see something wrong with thinking someone's work should be withheld because the worker had those views.