Thread: Friction at DC
View Single Post
Old March 9 2013, 12:43 AM   #58
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Re: Friction at DC

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
The petition is sickening.

You don't like Scott Card's views on gay marriage*? Cool. Don't buy it. There's plenty of other Superman books by plenty of other people who are just fine with homosexual marriage. But to actively campaign for the man to lose his job because you disagree with him?? He has a right to his views and he has a right to make a living if he's good at what he does (having read Ender's Game but nothing else by him, I certainly would say he is going by that), just as you're free to not support him. And don't give me any of this crap about Superman being an icon and therefore, we can't have someone who doesn't have the same value system as us writing for him even though those views probably have absolutely nothing to do with the story whatsoever.

It's situations like this that make liberals seem as totalitarian and repressive as conservatives. Fight words with words. Make your point and make it clear; don't lobby for someone to actually lose their fucking job because you disagree with them. And because Sprouse has quit, not because he disagreed with Card, but because "The media surrounding this story reached the point where it took away from the actual work, and that’s something I wasn’t comfortable with," they actually succeeded in harming this man's job because they don't like his views on a subject.

*My own view is that the government should stay out of marriage period, but if they have to, then two men or two women (or three men, or two women and a man, or whatever any consenting, conscious adult wants) should be equal to anyone else who wants to. But that's irrelevant.
Here, let's apply your same zeal in defending Card to those defending gay rights, and see why they might not be content to just sit idly by instead of petitioning for his removal from the anthology:

Orson Scott Card's anti-gay activism is sickening.

You don't like gay marriage? Cool. Don't do it. There are plenty of other people and plenty of other churches who are just fine with heterosexual marriage. But to actively campaign for people to not be able to get married and experience the benefits thereof because you disagree with them? They have a right to live their lives how they choose and love who they want as long as it's not harming anyone else (having read no scientific evidence that gay marriage harms anyone, that seems to be the case), just as you're free to not support them [as long as you're not harming anyone by interfering with their lives - notice the difference there?]. And don't give me any of this crap about marriage being a sacred bond (when half of them end in divorce) and therefore we can't have someone who doesn't have the same sexual orientation as us getting married even though their marriage has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else's marriage whatsoever.

It's situations like this that make Orson Scott Card and the LDS Church seem as totalitarian and repressive as other anti-gay conservatives. Live and let live. Live your life how you want to; don't lobby for someone else to actually lose their fucking rights because you disagree with them. And because Card has actively promoted anti-gay legislation, not because homosexuality affects him in any way, but because "It's something he isn’t comfortable with," he actually succeeded in harming other people's jobs, formal recognition of their partnerships, chances to adopt, medical visitation rights, etc. because he doesn't like the way they live.

* My own view is that the government should stay out of marriage period, but since that's not the case and there are numerous tax and other benefits relating to marriage, then two men or two women (or three men, or two women and a man, or whatever any consenting, conscious adult wants) should be equal to anyone else who wants to. But that's entirely relevant to this issue because Scott Card does not extend the same respect for minding your own fucking business about what other consenting adults do to gay people.
See what a difference that made? And then you don't come across like a hypocrite for giving OSC a complete pass for actively trying to interfere in other people's lives while flipping out about people exercising their own right to boycott or sign petitions against his participation in a comic anthology about a wildly popular superhero who is supposed to stand for truth, justice, and the American (but not exclusively so) way, which is something Card seems to need a refresher course in.