View Single Post
Old March 8 2013, 10:17 PM   #16
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

I certainly don't hate her but I do find all the accolades to be puzzling. I have a very open mind when it comes to music and I have found her songs so utterly forgettable that I no longer even bother listening when they pop up on Pandora.

In terms of her ability to write pop songs, she obviously knows what a "hook" is and the amount of emphasis to place on it but her hooks are really uninteresting. She does not appear to have any gift for melody at all. She is a much lesser version of Katie Perry with respect to her songwriting.

Her singing is average. She is nowhere even close to contemporaries, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Beyonce, nor does she possess those ladies' charisma. From a musical and performance standpoint, Swift, to me, doesn't appear to be that much different from Justin Beiber, she is just in a somewhat more commercially viable package.

Kanye West's little stunt has seemed to have cast her forever in the role of "victim" or perennial underdog which, IMO, has made her an easy person to vote for when handing out awards even though her work rarely rises above average.

If she was a mega talented singer like a Clarkson, or mega talented pop songwriter like a Katie Perry or Alicia Keys, or a charismatic performer like Lady Gaga or Beyonce, I would say to hell with the haters, this woman is the s""t. But she isn't any of those things yet she she continues to be a media darling and award show favorite -- like Beiber (minus the awards).

I don't hate her but I can easily see why others may.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote