Thread: Friction at DC
View Single Post
Old March 8 2013, 08:24 PM   #31
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Friction at DC

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Absolutely everybody should have the right to express their opinion on anything. The opinion can be challenged, debated and even attacked but the right to say it should never be taken away. I find the idea that some opinions are banned from being expressed publicly to be terrifying. I genuinely can't believe somebody would post this.
You may want to look up the meaning of the word "ban". It may not mean what you think it means.

I'm not advocating any rights be "taken away"; I'm as committed to the First Amendment as much as anyone. But free speech pertains to governmental harassment only. So much as we're talking about private businesses, consumer protests are fair game.

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
A person shouldn't be given extra benefits because they made the social decision to be romantic with someone and put a made-up label on them.
Fine, but the fact is that legal marriage unions confer concrete priveleges and benefits, and that's not likely to change anytime soon, so it's insulting and frivolous to bring a general anti-governmental marriage stance into the equation.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, you think McCarthyism was Good?
Don't mix governmental harassment with cultural protest.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Are you in favor of Gay Men beng banned from being Preachers or Scoutmasters or Coaches/Teachers because you think they'll molest little boys?
If a nonprofit wants to not hire/fire people who publicly advocate for gay marriage, I'm okay with that so long as they receive no federal/taxpaying aid, which both churches and the Boy Scouts do in massive amounts.