View Single Post
Old March 8 2013, 08:47 AM   #117
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
ST09 did well because we got to see Young Uhura without her clothes on. The Final Frontier didn't do well... because we got to see Old Uhura without her clothes on.

But the 2009 film did well because for the first time in a long time, it made Star Trek fun.
I completely agree. I liked TNG as a TV series, but really disliked the movies, because the tone and pace of TNG just didn't work for a movie format, in my opinion. And to me, it felt like everyone was trying to reinvent their characters in the TNG movies - Picard is suddenly doing action scene after action scene in contrived situations, suddenly being portrayed as a rule-breaker when we had seen him be quite conservative in the TV show, go-karting on a planet in a dune buggy ... Worf is threatening to kill Picard for calling him a coward ... it all pulled me out of the story... I felt like I was watching one of those TV reunion shows, where the actors or writers seem to be creating charicatures of their former character roles, rather than something new... The exciting frontier exploration, adventure, and action feel of the original series was what a movie needed, and when TNG tried to replicate that in their movies, it didn't work...
Good points.