View Single Post
Old March 8 2013, 02:32 AM   #129
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I doubt that "smart" films have ever made up the bulk of film produced world wide since the invention of the motion picture.

Star Trek on film has never really been in the "smart" category. (TMP was more pretentious than smart) Even in TV its been slightly above average at best, rather than in the "smarts" department.
I'd definitely class City on the Edge of Forever, Balance of Terror, The Inner Light and In The Pale Moonlight as smart TV. Similarly I'd call Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country smart films.
The episodes mentioned are well done and have significant emotional impact. Not sure if that makes them smart. I see very little smartness in TWOK or TUC. They're pretty shallow. Fun films, actioned packed,but not very deep.

Some fans think Star Trek shouldn't try to be smart and are comfortable for it to coast on as a loud, dumb action franchise. Which is fine as that's their taste in film but I'd like the films to better represent what made TOS, TAS, TNG and DS9 so great.
Not sure if Trek is the best venue for smart SF. It can be emotional, thought provoking and preachy at times, but smart seems elusive with out really changing what Star Trek is.
Making out that Star Trek has always been stupid just isn't a valid excuse.
Star Trek isn't stupid and that includes ST09. I don't think that and neither do a lot of others who enjoyed the last film.