View Single Post
Old March 8 2013, 01:33 AM   #716
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Lindley wrote: View Post
A mindset which thinks an episode can be judged on a two-sentence summary, and then rejects all additional data which suggests this might not be sufficient, might have trouble with the notion of not getting answers until an entirely different season.

Wow, Farscape will apparently never stop haunting me I'm assuming that's what you're talking about, since the summaries of episodes mostly haven't affected my B5 watching, and the 2-3 episodes I thought would be bad based off the summaries in the paphlet that came with the DVD turned out to be good (Farscape got episodes skipped because of summaries because, by very early in season 2, I lost faith that they could do stuff that sounded bad to me in a good way, while B5 I trust more in that department, even though it has had, like all tv shows, a few bad episodes). Anyway, that Star Wars analogy doesn't quite work. It takes things out of context and hops around a trilogy of movies. This was a scene taken in context in its episode, that we are told is the future which nothing can change. But unless, like in the Dr. who analogy, G'Kar and Londo were robots on a fake Centauri Prime (I think thats the name of the centauri homeworld) and the real ones are relaxing on a beach somewhere on the real planet there really isn't anything else you don't know when it comes to the future. They just tell you everything. All thats left is the hows of a few things. But they tell you that Londo stays an ally of the shadows until his death, and is a literal puppet of theirs for a while, until right before he dies. Unless its his evil twin, there is now no suspense about his character arc. You know he'll remain with the shadows in the end, so they can't tease him redeeming himself and turning against the shadows (until his death when its far too late) since you know he doesn't. He can do unexpected things for the plot in general, and stuff that effects other people, but his personal story arc is now complete, we just have to see him get there. It takes all the guessing or mystery out of the arc, and as a first time watcher it really makes me angry.

Maybe the whole thing should just be left alone. All we're doing is annoying each other at this point. While it may have been said a bit rudely, Professor Zoom had a point. No ones going to convince me that this wasn't a horrible idea that has just ruined the personal story arc of my favorite character. To me its obvious, and we're just not going to agree about it. There is more to talk about with B5 than just Londo (although is is an awesome part of the show). Anyway, back to B5 episodes.

Grey 17 is Missing - More Franklin stuff. He's a bit annoying this episode. I kind of wish Ivanova had refused to leave him alone, and just beat the info out of him. He was going to withhold info that could be vital to the war with the shadows because he wanted his personal space. The minbari warrior caste is back, and the guy shows they are still stupid. did he seriously believe the rangers would follow him? If pushed, they'd probably all just quit, make a new group with a different name, and follow Delenn anyway. Also, apparently the warrior is the minbari version of batman, judging from his dissappearing act I figured Lennier would find a way to stop the warrior regardless of his promise, and Marcus was the best choice. The missing section in grey sector is interesting, and it definately had potential. Little did I know that Garibaldi would be captured by the B5 version of mole people. Not only that, but the lead mole man is easily the most annoying character thats been on the show so far. I could barely decipher his gibberish most of the time, and he just wouldn't shut up. I was hoping Garibaldi would get his gun back and shoot him, but I guess getting rough with him was better than nothing. The Marcus/warrior fight was cool, even though Marcus got beat pretty badly. The monster in B5 looked cool, although I wish Garibaldi had managed to feed the annoying mole man to him. I'm not sure if the homemade guy thing actually makes sense, but it was interesting. Overall, this was an ok episode, and Delenn's stuff was decent, but the Grey 17 parts were not great. I think it had a lot of potential, and I was interested in those parts, but the end result didn't live up to what I thought it would be. It ended up being mostly annoying because of the mole man who wouldn't stop saying stupid stuff. He was beyond irritating.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote