View Single Post
Old March 7 2013, 08:02 AM   #8
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Did You Love Other Vintage Sci-Fi Shows?

Besides being a gigantic Star Trek fan, I was a huge Gerry Anderson fan in grade school in the 1970's, so I was into Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, UFO, and Space: 1999.

The Night Stalker, Six Million Dollar Man (see avatar), and Wonder Woman had their place, as did the even lesser shows like Project UFO and Logan's Run. Basically, anything sci-fi on network TV in the mid 1970's throughout the decade got watched.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was the only Irwin Allen show I recall us having, and that was only back when I first saw TOS. Having seen some of that recently, I don't think I missed much.

Saturday morning fare was also important. So Star Trek: TAS, Land of the Lost, Ark II, Space Academy, Jason of Star Command, Super Friends, etc. etc. all got watched.

When I visited our relatives in bigger cities, I was always jealous that they got neat shows like Ultra Man. I remember thinking that was cool, when I was like 5, but I only saw a few episodes.

I always recognized that original BSG blowed. Ditto for Buck Rogers.

In junior high, we had a run of The Prisoner on PBS, which I loved.

We never had The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits on our 4 UHF channels, so I had to wait until cable was laid to see those. By then I was on my way out of high school.

We also never had Lost in Space, thank God. I'm picking that up now on MeTV, and boy is it awful.

I'm probably leaving some shows out, but that's the overall gist for me growing up.

Of all those shows that I saw growing up, Star Trek, Thunderbirds, and The Prisoner were my favorite.