View Single Post
Old March 6 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: PCs and Gamepads

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I'm new to the PC scene after a long absence and I'm not sure what to do for controllers.

I thought to myself, well I have two 360 controllers, why not use these? So since you can't buy them from MS I bought one of those third-party wireless receivers and after setting the driver my USB 3.0 ports went dead under Windows 8. Lovely. Luckily I managed to restore those and managed somehow to get the device working on my front ports.

However, when I do the test option for the controller the triggers don't seem to, er, trigger a button to light. Is that normal? I haven't actually tried it with an actual game yet (that hour or two of wondering if I fried my PC took the wind out of my sails).

What do you guys use? Wireless? Wired 360? Dualshock (bluetooth? does USB work?)? Third-Party? Or what? Any special drivers or anything?
I've used Wireless 360 controllers and Third party ones. For the Wireless 360 ones, you have to pick out a generic driver in the hardware section of the Control Panel. I found it after a minute searching for it on Google:
Right click on Computer
Go to Properties
Click on Device Manager
Right click on the Unidentified Device
Go to Properties
Go to the Drive tab
Click on Update Driverů
Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Microsoft Common Controller for Window Class
Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]
Update Driver Warning