View Single Post
Old March 6 2013, 02:21 AM   #45
Lieutenant Commander
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

Ktrek wrote: View Post
DrCorby wrote: View Post
Since I've been going to B&N since Borders closed to get that 10% discount, and I can get new MMPBs through Amazon also at full price but with free shipping (I order enough every few months to qualify for free shipping), B&N is reducing the reasons I need (and want!) to visit their store. And that reduces the chance I'll make an impulse purchase, my daughters will find something they *must* have in the manga aisle, or my wife will want a book in the paranormal romance area; that means less money they'll get from me.
Let's think this through OK? You would rather spend the gas money at $3.60 a gallon there and back and save $80 cents with your member discount instead of paying the 80 cents and getting free shipping worth $2.98 direct to your door and no gas expense? You see where I'm going here? What you are saving in member discount and what you are spending on gas it is likely that you are actually spending more going to the store. Plus if you pre-order it online it arrives usually before the release date. Seems like a no brainer to me!
I understand your point. However, trips to B&N are seldom straight-there-and-back, but usually part of a series of stops/errands, so it's hard to say how much gas is used to only go to B&N.

And I'm sorry if I left the impression that it's entirely a monetary consideration. I LOVE bookstores. I love browsing through shelves of books, both in bookstores and in libraries (which we usually visit once a week). My wife is the same way, and we've infected our kids with the same affection.

Getting us in the actual store can lead to purchases, though sometimes delayed. There have been instances when we look at something in the store, go home, do some research, and then purchase online. (A Rosetta Stone language set, for homeschool purposes, comes to mind.)

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Well, that depends on the distance, doesn't it? If his car gets, say, 20 MPG in the city, then the store would have to be 10 miles away in order for the round trip to expend a full gallon of gas. But he said it was his local store, suggesting something closer. If the store is less than 2.2 miles away, then the gas expense is under 80 cents, and thus the book costs slightly less than it would if purchased online, even with free shipping. And if gas prices fall, it would cost even less. (Not to mention that if it's within a mile or two, you could walk or bike there.)

Plus there are other advantages to visiting a brick-and-mortar store -- the opportunity to browse and stumble across interesting books you wouldn't have found otherwise, the enjoyment of the store's ambience, maybe the relationship with its staff if you're a regular, the support for an endangered institution, etc.
The store is about 3-4 miles from home, so it's not a pilgrimage. Plus, it's now the only non-used book store in town that isn't a university/textbook store or a religious book store (as far as I can discover, to my shock). The local WalMarts and drug stores don't carry Star Trek books. So, I'm trying to support the B&N store, in hopes it won't close its doors. But by not carrying new Star Trek titles, I don't have that monthly imperative to swing by their store regularly; it becomes more of an irregular stop. Thus, my spending in their store also becomes more irregular.
Dr Corby... was never here.
DrCorby is offline   Reply With Quote