View Single Post
Old March 6 2013, 12:56 AM   #28
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Data and killing

Mojochi wrote: View Post
When someone who has murdered says they will murder more, a sensible person will take seriously that claim. When someone has the ability to kidnap & hold in captivity possibly the most able bodied & resourceful person in all Starfleet, AND still has almost all those abilities, it's fair to treat them as though the threat is not idle or negligible
Firstly, I'd find Fajo's threat more serious if he hadn't just thrown his weapon away. At the time, Fajo was an UNARMED man trying to intimidate Data.

Secondly, the only way that Fajo was able to capture Data was with a sneak attack to incapacitate him. Data isn't going to let ANYONE on that ship close enough to do that again.

We can figure from past experience with his character that his process of reasoning is sound enough that he's not the kind of person to execute someone without the need, HIM least of all.
And there was no need to do it in this case.

It's a wonder you can manage to enjoy Star Trek at all. It's not a show known for an absence of plot holes & contrivances. (What show is?) I notice you skipped my point about Worf only getting a reprimand after a full blown murder, & Riker getting outright released after covering up a mutiny that led to loss of ship & crew, and conspiracy to violate a treaty.
Unless your point is that since Worf and Riker got away with it, Data should as well, I don't see what your point is.

Anyway, the circumstances are different. I'm not talking about why Data should get away with "Perhaps something happened during transport." I'm saying that it never should have happened in the first place. Both Worf and Riker's action can be logically explained by the circumstances. Worf was acting in accordance with Klingon culture, Riker was an inexperienced junior officer who was blinded by loyalty to his captain. I've already given my arguments that Data's actions were not justified.

Data was acting in the defense of himself & others while abducted, and was spared the actual consequence of having to kill the guy.
Yes, defending everyone from a man who was so shocked at what he'd done that he'd thrown his weapon away and left himself unarmed.

On board & in command of his own starship full of technology & personnel is hardly helpless. He isn't just a threat, he's an indiscriminate threat. Data doesn't know enough about the man's personal defenses, ship's capabilities or potential strategies to risk giving up this singular advantage
So? You think Data was going to let Fajo activate some control panel? Call for help from his crew? There are many other ways of stopping Fajo from using his ship as I've already explained.

Kill this one man now & it's a certainty that no one else will be killed by him, or don't and risk the possibility that there was some way for him to do so. You are in the position of having to prove to me that Fajo is helpless & not capable of carrying through is threat. Can you do it? He is on board his own ship. Knowing almost nothing about his defenses & capabilities, in what way is he helpless? He has a ship full of help
lol, I think we need a role play thing here. You suggest something that Fajo could do, and I'll play Data and try to stop you.

But in any case, a ship full of help? Come on, his crew has just seen him murder one of his closest associates. You really think they're going to help him? More likely, Fajo's going to get a good old, "Screw you. What are you going to do, whip me with harsh language?" And then they'd beat the crap out of him. Killing Varria ensured that his crew would be DISloyal to him. Fahjo would need a weapon to get them to do what he says - and he just threw it away!

Data has nothing to his advantage but a disruptor in his hand & a narrow window of opportunity that is closing, plus an enemy who doesn't even think he can use it, which actually makes the situation more volatile
And as I've said, Data can use the disrupter in non-lethal ways. And he has more assets than just a disrupter. he has the entire contents of the cargo bay he's in!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote