Thread: Uniforms
View Single Post
Old March 5 2013, 09:58 PM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Uniforms

Cake wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Uhura's outfit seems to be an optional variant as there were also female personnel wearing full sleeves and trousers as well.

As we saw other Starfleet outfits that didn't feature rank insignia (the space-diving outfits and Kirk's cold weather gear), rank insignia may not be that terribly important to be on every Starfleet outfit. Even in TOS, McCoy and M'Benga's surgeon tunics didn't have rank insignia, neither did Nurse Chapel's uniform, or the formal uniforms (although some braiding along the front was used to distinguish senior and flag officers, IIRC).
I thought that was because a nurse is something like an ensign, not someone particular high in the pecking order.
I think as a senior nurse, Chapel probably was a lieutenant, but her authority was largely confined to the sickbay and over the junior nurses.
Ensign Chekov also doesn't have rank insignia. Having no braid on the long sleeve was in TOS and is in the movie a sign of a low rank.
Enlisted crewmen also wore uniforms without rank insignia in TOS, kind of suggesting that rank stripes on the sleeves wasn't quite that important as a person's rank and position. It really would be a case of how different Starfleet is from today's navies, IMO.
Personally I find it stupid, that Uhura's uniform has no rank insignia. She isn't an ensign. They should have put something on the end of her short sleeve or on her shoulder or neck.
I think we go with the idea of uniform rank insignia being less important in Starfleet than rank & position--along with Uhura's uniform being a casual variant anyway--it works.