Old March 5 2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Thete
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Thete
Re: Uniforms

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Since women have long sleeve uniforms, logically men would also have short sleeve variants. Hell, braids on the cuffs were how rank was displayed in TMP and Kirk spends most of that movie in short sleeves. Personally, I find it odd that all women wear miniskirts. Yeah, I suppose when you cast women like Zoe Saldana and Alice Eve you want to put them in miniskirts, but it would be realistic to have both a skirt and pant variant for the uniforms. There should also be manskirts like in TNG S1.
No! A proper kilt or pants--but not that ridiculous "manskirt". Yikes.

But... but... total gender equality... Gene Roddenberry's vision... BLASPHEMY!
I wouldn't argue it like that, however I do think it was quite a remarkable thing for a television show in the 1980s to unironically include a man in a miniskirt-style uniform. One day I hope we do attain gender neutrality and equality, acceptance of trans* people, etc. Star Trek has always been very progressive and the 'manskirt' is one of my favourite subtleties.

I would argue also that showing one's body off unashamedly as both the men and women did especially in TOS is perhaps indicative of some sort of comfort with sexuality we have not yet attained.

But maybe I'm missing out on some in-joke or something!