View Single Post
Old March 5 2013, 03:54 AM   #32
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Cardassian society - enforcement or preference?

While I certainly don't support a dictatorship...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I've always viewed democracy as an absolute right, something that everyone wants - even if they don't yet know they want it.
I find statements like this genuinely terrifying. It's using the language of totalitarianism for a philosophy that's supposedly "free." I could see someone arguing that "freedom" is an absolute right everyone shares, but in its purest form, that's anarchy.

Democracy is a very specific system based on the premise of majority rules. It has its benefits and drawbacks, just like any other system of government. To say it's something that everyone subconsciously wants isn't just human-centric, as someone else in the thread claimed it was, but extremely Western civilization-centric. Many ancient Romans and Greeks, like Polyibus, genuinely disliked Athens-style democracy and viewed it as an inefficient system that quickly broke down into brutal mob rule, acknowledging it has its flaws just like oligarchies and dictatorships do.

And just in general, I get REALLY creeped out when people say anything about what people want "even if they don't yet know they want it." That's usually the language of someone who wants to give others what they don't want.