View Single Post
Old March 4 2013, 07:58 PM   #103
Pauln6
Commodore

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, Abrams's first two TV series were the very female-centric Felicity and Alias, and he co-created two other series with strong female leads, Fringe and the short-lived Undercovers. And in his Mission: Impossible III, the character who started out as the male lead's love interest ended up being effectively the heroine. As for Kurtzman and Orci, they were briefly showrunners on Xena: Warrior Princess, wrote for Alias, wrote M:I:III, and co-created Fringe. So I think there's plenty of evidence that these creators have no problem putting women in important roles.

On the other hand, it's possible that there's studio pressure to aim these movies and tie-in comics at the presumed target demographic of young males.
I'd be interested to see what the expected demographic was for those shows. I'm willing to bet that an awful lot of young men were very happy to watch indeed.

I don't think it's a male demographic issue though because that is served by having token cuties running around in short skirts. It always looks like a win/win situation to me - male fans are usually happy to see more women and female fans are happy to see more women. I can only think the lack of supporting women and total lack of older women is subconscious sexism issue on the part of the writers and casting people. I've yet to see any other plausible reason.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote