View Single Post
Old March 4 2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Cardassian society - enforcement or preference?

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
I never quite got the climate change angle, because as a race they're so obviously shown to be a species adapted to desert conditions - it's emphasized several times in the series as well as in some books that they like it dry and hot. This suggests they have evolved in just such conditions. Of course species can change and adapt, but this takes a lot of time, and if they're meant to have been living in some sort of lush green environment a mere couple of thousand years or even less ago, then their physiology doesn't make sense.
Maybe Cardassia was always desert-like, only not quite so desert-like? Maybe Cardassians thrived in an arid environment that was ultimately dependent on a delicate ecological balance and something (natural, artificial or both) pushed that biosphere over the edge, turning things from "life is hard here but we get on well enough because we evolved here" to "we're in dire straits, help!"?

I'm reminded of the drell from Mass Effect; superbly adapted to arid conditions, but still experiencing massive death rates when their planet just couldn't cope anymore with their exploding population.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; March 5 2013 at 12:41 AM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote