View Single Post
Old March 4 2013, 02:59 PM   #10
serenitytrek1
Commander

Re: Saldana: Uhura-Spock

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Spock / Uhura thing is a load of forced melodrama, pandering to a tween audience conditioned to the female lead falling for the emotionally distant handsome male.

It's a lazy attempt at giving the Uhura character a 3rd dimension and probably more insulting to the character than any of the lowest Uhura moments TOS presented us with.

I kind of disagree; I think the writers of trek 09 had an obligation to attract a female audience by putting a romance in the film.

I don’t think the romance in trek was made for the tween audience. The tween audience like the shallow and superficial over the top romance like the horrible twilight films. The romance in trek 09 was very mature and low key.

Also,Uhura just happened to be at the right place at the right time. originally the writers were going to go with Nurse Chapel but they scrapped it because Chapel couldn’t been on the bridge, Chapel belonged in the medical bay which means it would have been very hard to write a romance between spock/chapel in a 2 hour film.

So yeah.... Uhura was at the right place at the right time, it was a lot easier for JJ Abrams and his buddies to write a romance between Uhura/Spock instead of Chapel/Spock . It had nothing to do with upgrading Uhura's character because she did nothing in TOS.

Maybe nurse chapel and Spock would have made more sense ..she was the one crushing on Spock in TOS.

As JJ Abrams is more of a geek nerd than a Jork, JJ Abrams gets to live out his fantasy through uhura/spock. JJ said he paired them together because he did not like the idea of how the handsome hero which in Star Trek is Kirk always gets the girl. He wanted a nerd (in other words some one like himself) to get the girl instead.

I also disagree with it been forced.. a romatic pairing been forced is mostly subject to the actors performance in the film. Perfect examples are: Hayden Christensen and Nataile Portman or Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto make a very good pair and are both good actors. In fact the whole cast blended together well. Nothing about TREK 09 was forced.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; March 4 2013 at 03:42 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote