Old March 4 2013, 05:26 AM   #16
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Garak's Thoughts on the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'd imagine in public he'd declare it pointless but shrug it off, while in private seeing it as an atrocity.
I am not so sure I'd expect Garak to classify it as an atrocity. He was a cruel man himself, who believed getting his results was worth any price (he even tortured Odo and who knows how many other people, or committed murder(s)), so I wouldn't assume that anyone's suffering made any impression on him. Especially if that suffering was non-Cardassian for the good of Cardassia.
IIRC, Garak only tortured Odo because he was ordered to do so, and even then, it hurt him to do it.
I'm not sure I'm buying Garak's crocodile tears.

Garak was ready to commit genocide and kill all changelings on the planet. I doubt he'd care much about Bajorans and their lives, if killing them all would serve his purpose. If the occupation was good for Cardassia, then the Bajorans were just collateral damage. Maybe, as JustKate pointed out, pointless if without a reason, but Garak was hardly a sympathetic and nice character. He's liked by many fans and whitewashed due to that, but if you look carefully, he's not so nice and innocent.

Last edited by Gul Re'jal; March 4 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typo
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote