View Single Post
Old March 4 2013, 04:52 AM   #30
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: RDM interview in a military blog (in 4 parts)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
There is no brilliant, successful example of an sf series following an overarching pre-plotted storyline from the beginning to the end of the series. That kind of narrow plot-focused writing produces mediocre drama.
Well that's some damn tasty bait you've got there, but I think I'll pass.
That's probably a good idea, because one would have to come up with an example to the contrary that holds up.
Having a completely pre-planned arc can backfire if the audience is able to figure it out before it is finished, robbing it of any drama or if they just don't like it. Most shows seem to go with a combination of both. Some elements are pre-planned and others are thrown in as it develops.

I don't think the writers of Fringe really knew the direction of the show until roughly half way through the first season, which would explain some of the early hints about Peter's past. They would also drop storylines if the audience didn't like it, like a character who thought there was a religious aspect to the Fringe events in the series. The audiences didn't care for it and it was quickly dropped and never mentioned again.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.