View Single Post
Old March 4 2013, 04:15 AM   #29
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: School goes into lockdown over "Fresh Prince" theme

ATimson wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
"We" are people in charge of setting policy for schools. Why would you prefer they ignore a problem rather than take precautions when it turns out to not be a problem? It seems that the costs of your error is higher than the costs of my error.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Yes, I too am a fan of Blackstone, although he was talking about convictions.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

It was pointed out recently that the words "essential" and "temporary" are often left out, which quite changes the meaning (although I think it's really one of degree, whether or not Mr. Franklin agrees with me). You left them in, which I appreciate, so I'll just ask this question: Is locking the classroom doors until a problem is resolved (what happened here) giving up an "essential liberty" in exchange for a little temporary safety?
The student was arrested without cause. I'd definitely say that his essential liberty was sacrificed.
For what it's worth, I meant it was better for the school receptionist to overreact than underreact. I wasn't commenting on the arrest (I actually missed that), I was just thinking of the lockdown. I had no problem with her calling the police, trusting them to better exercise good judgment. I agree there's no probable cause for an arrest based on these facts.