View Single Post
Old March 4 2013, 01:09 AM   #22
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Were you satisfied with the character arcs?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
It just seems... lazy. That the writers don't have to explain anything because a God can revive characters and give them visions of what to do when it is required by the plot. If that is satisfying storytelling to you then fair enough but I prefer the show to use different narrative devices. God and an afterlife rids it of consequence and weight.

It doesn't do anything interesting with the idea of a God. It's just humdrum monotheism presented in an unambiguous, uninteresting way.
You probably shouldn't have watched a show that dealt heavily with the religions of both the protagonists and antagonists. Especially since visions and prophesy were an instrumental aspect of the plot throughout the run. That's a heavy part of the Kobol story arc, Roslin's entire arc, Baltar's entire arc and the reason Leoben was obsessed with Starbuck. The whole series dealt with religion, complaining that a god showed up doesn't make sense.

If you cut it out, it's just people being chased by robots with no motivation. Then they find a place to stay, end of story. It could have worked, but I doubt it would have worked as well. It would have likely been another boring Trek clone.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.