View Single Post
Old March 3 2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: School goes into lockdown over "Fresh Prince" theme

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
"We" are people in charge of setting policy for schools. Why would you prefer they ignore a problem rather than take precautions when it turns out to not be a problem?
I think we'd like them to be able to identify problems a little more accurately.
While I agree, that wasn't my point. When it comes to Type I errors and Type II errors, which side is it better to err on in this situation? It's why, while this woman is stupid, I'd rather someone stupid like this than a mother who saw their teenage child building an arsenal in the basement and did nothing.

the G-man wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
"We" are people in charge of setting policy for schools. Why would you prefer they ignore a problem rather than take precautions when it turns out to not be a problem? It seems that the costs of your error is higher than the costs of my error.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
It was pointed out recently that the words "essential" and "temporary" are often left out, which quite changes the meaning (although I think it's really one of degree, whether or not Mr. Franklin agrees with me). You left them in, which I appreciate, so I'll just ask this question: Is locking the classroom doors until a problem is resolved (what happened here) giving up an "essential liberty" in exchange for a little temporary safety?