View Single Post
Old March 3 2013, 04:37 PM   #1919
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Sykonee wrote: View Post
No, it mustn't end like this. Let the thread live on by reviewing all the Relaunch novels.

I mean, it can't be any worse than enduring Crusade was.
Star Trek novels have never worked for me. It has nothing to do with the quality of them, but novels get inside the head of characters more than TV shows do, and that's weird for me when reading about characters I think I know. It's like when they do a film adaptation of a book you love and the actor plays the character differently than you had imagined in your head, but in reverse.

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Two, Sisko should've explicitly been said to remain there permanently, as you believe. The idea that he can return (presumably put in because of the baby storyline, maybe because they didn't think audiences would accept a captain dying in the finale, I don't know) just cheapens the impact.
According to MA, the original version of the scene was like that and Sisko was trapped with the Prophets for eternity, but Avery Brooks was uncomfortable with it because he feared some in the audience would see it as a brown man abandoning his pregnant wife. When he explained his concerns to the writers, they rewrote and reshot the scene with Kasidy to include a promise to return some day. Avery Brooks may have been right that a black role model like Sisko shouldn't end the series that way while those stereotypes still exist, so I don't fault him for that, but I prefer a more ambiguous interpretation of the ending.

As for Jake, it is a little weird that Sisko doesn't say goodbye to his son, but I feel that the lack of a goodbye scene maybe adds a little something to that final shot of Jake looking out the window. That lack of closure is similar to what he went through in The Visitor, to which that shot is a visual callback.

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
So...Farscape next?
We can only hope.
Farscape is tempting as I know absolutely nothing about it, but doing a first-timer thread is a bit weird. If I were to redo my B5 thread now, I would rerate a number of episodes (some up, some down) because my knowledge of future arcs would affect my feelings about things.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
And he did it for free. It was very interesting as I was re-watching some of the episodes to come in here and fight such bright and insightful commentary. I also learned a thing or two about the show behind the show. Just an amazing piece of work, one of the best threads I have seen in my 10 years of being on any message board anywhere. You are obviously very gifted, TheGodBen. I hope you find some other outlet for this now that you have watched the entire series.
Thanks. Although, I'd substitute the word 'gifted' with 'obsessive'.

I'll probably do more threads in the future, but I have no definitive plan. I was thinking of maybe TNG, but people seem to want Farscape, and I'm easily pressured into doing things other people suggest. Hence my meth addiction.