View Single Post
Old March 3 2013, 05:54 AM   #56
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Early Evidence That You Were A Nerd

trampledamage wrote: View Post
I grew up in a sci-fi household though, so that was normal for me. I remember trying to impress my dad with my reading and saying "I'm reading books by Harry Harrison, have you ever read any of his?" - his reply being "read him? I've met him."
Nice. (I never met Mr. Harrison, myself. I'm sure we were probably at the same con once or twice, but our paths never crossed.)

I don't remember this clearly, but I know that my parents took me to a child psychologist who recommended that they send me to a private school that's run by the University of Toronto, but they didn't do that. I was probably about 4 at the time, so there was clearly a perception that I was of above-average intelligence.

I do remember that when I was about 5, my father started taking me to meetings of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. I still own a pretty good reference book about the constellations that has "Christmas 1973" written inside the front cover in my father's handwriting (I was 6 at the time). That was probably one of the earliest hints of my geekiness.

Around the same time, I was building dinosaur models with a friend who lived down the street. He later lost interest in geeky pursuits, and in fact, he contributed to making my life a living hell later, in high school because I wasn't one of the "cool kids" that he preferred to hang out with. (I ran into him about ten years ago at a theatre event, and he apologized, and we've kept in touch over Facebook.)

Around that same time, I was also reading a lot - I remember having an anthology by Roger Elwood that I read several times over, which included stories by Lester del Rey, Poul Anderson, Barry Malzberg, Robert Bloch, Dean Koontz and Philip Jose Farmer. I also read a fair bit of Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke back then - Bradbury from the library, and Asimov and Clarke from my father's book collection.

It was probably around that same time that I first saw Star Trek - "The Devil In the Dark" being the first episode I saw, and "A Taste Of Armageddon" following shortly thereafter. I didn't really get into it in a big way until the summer between grades 7 and 8, when I turned 11.

It was probably inevitable, but if you'd asked me back then whether I thought I'd ever be friends with any the people who created this stuff, I would have told you to stop being ludicrous.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote