View Single Post
Old March 3 2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Were you satisfied with the character arcs?

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Really though, it's hard for me to separate the character arcs from what pissed me off about the main plot's ending. The idea that everybody would reject science and technology like that is just insane to me. And a really, really bad message for a sci-fi show.

"Embrace God! Throw all your technology in to the sun!"

Ugh.
A few of them? Sure. I could buy Adama being like, "All right, let's live off the land!" But THE ENTIRE FLEET? LMFAO. Some dude whose mother is dying of cancer is not gonna be like, "Woo! Let's get rid of all medical supplies and equipment! Let's find our way in a primitive and violent culture!" not to mention the general people who just wouldn't want to give up luxuries. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bunch of people these days who'd be willing to give up their iPods and laptops; and RDM wants us to buy thousands of people forsaking technology all together?!
What luxuries? These people had been on the run with increasingly fewer supplies for 4 years, most in the equivalent of airplanes and cruise ships. Also they were probably running out of medical supplies, maybe giving the Galactica a priority given they had to protect everyone else. Most people were probably happy to not have to live in a cramped space the rest of their lives. I doubt they destroyed their supplies, they only mentioned destroying the ships. They likely used whatever they had left for emergencies and lived out their lives. Probably keeping guns and whatever ammunition they had left.

Also most people wouldn't abandon their technology, but most people haven't lived how these people did. Also they went from a level of technology in Caprica to a lower level (somewhat similar to our current one), so abandoning technology isn't an alien concept to them. Especially when it is the only way your children and grandchildren will survive.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.