View Single Post
Old March 3 2013, 02:33 AM   #24
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Re: no more TV in the future? WTF?!

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
I can't see TV dying out even if complete immersion virtual realities as in holosuites could ever be invented.

Reason one: as a species we've always loved telling and being told stories. When you're taking part in one, fun as it is, you can't actually really concentrate on the story itself, you're missing out on a lot of detail because you're so taken up with your own participation. Holosuites are just a step up from video games. I enjoy the odd video game, but it doesn't beat losing myself in a good book or a great bit of TV.
I'm not so sure about that, honestly. When a game has a rich, involved story (MGS, Deus Ex,...), I do find myself drawn into it as much as in a good movie/series. Scratch that: not as much, more.
And I don't miss details.

Books are another matter. To be honest, if other media could reach the same standards of quality as literature has, I wouldn't read anymore.
All the other aspects people like to hail as exclusive to books over other media have absolutely no draw to me; I just read because books are generally better written than scripts.

Why is that? Maybe I'm younger than you (I'm 29) and my generation has different sensibilities from yours. In which case, a generation that grew up with holosuites (even if in their infancy; my first videogames rarely had much story at all!) could easily not see appeal in older media.

Reason two: people said nobody'd listen to radio anymore when TV was invented and we still have radios.
The radio is dying a slow death, but be assured it is dying.
Its last significant niche is in the car, and although it seems to resist the alternatives for now (CDs, MP3 players), it might not for long.

Reason three: abolishing TV would kill off two great arts in one go, the art of the cameraman - it's moving photography after all (and they still have holocams!), and that of the actor, since holo characters are simply programmed simulations. I don't like the idea of a future minus that much potential for cultural expression.
The motions of CGI characters aren't programmed, they're obtained through motion capture, it seems a stretch to assume it'd be any different for holocharacters (that'd be really tedious and hard, programming every little movement), so actors wouldn't be out of a job.

Plus after a hard day on duty, I wouldn't want to have to exert myself with a holoprogram (unless we're talking one of Quark's special recommendations maybe) - I'd just want a nice drink and be allowed to passively enjoy an entertaining programme. Like Star Trek...
Yes, this is the last vestige of TV, and I do think it'll endure quite a while: it does allow an unparalleled level of passivity.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote