View Single Post
Old March 2 2013, 09:45 PM   #189
Snatcher42
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The old "DS9 stole from B5" thing

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
You mentioned the home video market is shrinking, which is true, which is why I hope we will eventually be able to purchase the show for download via iTunes or some other source in 4:3. Actually, can it be purchased via iTunes? I don't use it so I'm not sure.
Season 1 is on iTunes in 4:3, Seasons 2-5 are 16:9.

As I mentioned one page back, Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are on Vudu.com in 4:3, for download or streaming.

So actually, you CAN see everything except Season 5 in 4:3... But like Harvey, I'd love to have them on disc too.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'd purchase what you propose in a heartbeat -- but it seems, at present, unlikely. In lieu of that, a 4:3 version (which would look far better, since the effects wouldn't be crappy due to cropping and zooming) would be preferable to the versions that exist in wide circulation at the moment, and take a far smaller investment from Warner Bros. But, it too, is unlikely.
Sums it up perfectly. New effects simply aren't going to happen in the current market. A 4:3 re-release on DVD is also unlikely, but I'm still holding out a small hope for that. Maybe they could even do something like Farscape, and release the whole series on Blu-Ray using the NTSC masters as the source. It wouldn't be true HD, but it would look slightly better (then again Farscape had the benefit of PAL source tapes).
Snatcher42 is offline   Reply With Quote