View Single Post
Old March 2 2013, 07:21 PM   #34
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: DOS Screen Challenge

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post

That actually reminds me somewhat of bits of the Burnout 2 soundtrack (one of my all-time fave game soundtracks). Nice work.

Talking of the staff on the game, I think one of the programmers who played your opponents on Stunts ended in charge of the the FIFA games at EA. Either "Bernie" or "Skid" IIRC. Not "Cherry" though; but she got a small part on The Commish. Not joking. I read it somewhere after reinstalling the game last year and wondering what happened to them all. That, and I wanted to see what Cherry looked like now, of course.
I'm not surprised. Seems like a good way to give a nod to their early history It's also kind of wild to think that the developer that started out developing the Test Drive series ended up creating a series later on to compete with it, and now is one of the best selling game franchises, outselling the series they started on.
True.

I still think that despite its franchise length, Burnout 2 was the peak of the latter series in terms of sheer fun & imagination. Great music, cars with distinctly different looks & driving personality, full race replays, tracks with an excellent drifting "flow" to them especially Big Surf Shores & Crystal Peak, exciting mechanics (burnout chains rather than the boost bars that came later) and a nice learning curve.

Plus, Acclaim had the awesome marketing idea of offering to reimburse any (real-life) driver in the UK who got a speeding ticket on release day. Sadly the UK government didn't see the funny side and Acclaim backed down on the promotion.

I loved driving the Supercar around Big Surf Shores; on a good day I could perfect every lap, and not interrupt the burnout chain at all (which meant somewhere about 35 continuous burnouts). My original xbox sadly died recently. I can't play anymore and have lost all my saved records, so I sold off the controllers & games. But I kept Burnout 2, just in case I ever pick one up again in the future...

I know there's a emulated gamecube version available for PC, so I might get round to playing it on that format someday, but it probably won't feel the same.

Honestly, in terms of sheer racing fun, I'd put Stunts & Burnout 2 in a league of their own (possibly sharing the podium with Ayrton Senna Super Monaco GP2) and way ahead of most of the racers of recent years.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote