View Single Post
Old March 2 2013, 06:55 PM   #6102
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

Oh, lord no. I'm simply saying that if they don't have respect for the Watchmen--a well loved COMPLETE story, why would they have respect for Morrison's wishes?
There are valid reasons to dislike the idea and/or execution of Before Watchmen, but I will fight anyone who bases their objection around ideas of "respect" for Alan Moore and his work. Moore has based a large part of his career around doing things with other people's characters and stories that their original creators would never have approved of – as, I might add, was his intention with Watchmen before DC editorial realized it rendered their newly obtained characters unusable – so taking Watchmen and changing and adding things is absolutely fair play as far as matters of "respect" are concerned.
Yet the reality is: Paul Levitz never went forward with any further Watchman material out of respect for Moore. Once he was out, others felt differently.
It's more likely he was afraid of an internal revolt at DC if he had gone through with it. The last time he screwed over Moore over royalties, editors revolted and resigned in protest over what he did. We have seen how little respect he had towards creators like Mark Millar and Garth Ennis.
Hound of UIster is online now   Reply With Quote