View Single Post
Old March 1 2013, 11:54 PM   #13
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Largest annual prize for disease cures and life extension created

Deks wrote: View Post
Apart from numerous robots that do laboratory research and are capable of learning and adjusting the parameters.

I'm hardly pretending that there won't be work to be done, but the reality is we can already automate 75% of the global workforce tomorrow with the technology we already have.
As for police robots.
Don't be so obsolete. Last time, I checked, the military has automated drones.
Those can just as easily fulfill officers duties.
LOL, no the military doesn't have "automated" drones. They pay lots of pilots to run them. Laboratory robots don't do research, they run experiments. another repetitive task. Which I already explained. Please explain to me how a robot cop is going to resolve a domestic dispute? Do you really think it would be any good at determining the guilty party in an argument?

Lol... things have value only because humans arbitrarily assign such notions to them.
Duh! That's the point. Without money, how do you determine who gets those things that have been assigned value and are inherently limited in quantity? Like ocean front property.
My point is that there is no purpose to money when you have access abundance (which is doable today with our technology) and society based on sustainability.
And I've just shown you the hole in your logic.

As for convincing the world to go along with it...
Lol... I won't have to.
The monetary system is already eating itself out of existence as is.
Its only a matter of time before the purchasing power of majority of the population drops to near 0 levels where the monetary system cannot function anymore because automation has replaced basically everyone or majority of the world (because its cheaper, faster, and more efficient).

Also.. there is an alternative... The Venus Project.

Funny thing is though, the collapse is probably going to happen in the next decade.
What with molecular manufacturing, numerous jobs being phased out too fast...
No one having the money to re-train, or the industry having the patience to wait for humans to train (because its already easier, faster, cheaper and more efficient to automate MANY jobs than it is for Humans to do them).

I find this ludicrous persistence on pushing the monetary system (that's creating our problems) in the face of our technology and abundance (which which the monetary system cannot cope seeing how it already collapsed several times because of it) we generate today to be pointless.
The funny thing is you're seeing part of the issue here - lack of jobs to go around - but have failed to realize that the transition to your "no money" utopia will most likely not be the end result. At some point the system may breakdown and it won't be peaceful. Changes of that magnitude never are. Nor are they always successful. Just ask Soviet Russia.

ETA: OH hey! a TED talk. The poster child of clever, but not really, when you think about it.